Pumpkin Pancakes and Porridge
Morning! I've got the perfect breakfast post for you today, and it's Pumpkin-themed, what better?! I've missed big american-style breakfasts on my healthy eating kick, so I thought I'd give it a go, and i'm happy I did because I had 2 very yummy breakfasts this weekend. First up, Pumpkin Pancakes
These were delish!
- 1 cup (american measurement) of pureed pumpkin (you can find the brand Libby's in Waitrose)
- 2 dollops (heaped tablespoons) of fat free greek yogurt
- 8 eggs
- half a tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- some vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Whisk all wet ingredients together, then stir in the dry ingredients until the batter comes together. It should be quite thin
- I used a few sprays of fry light but you can use butter in a frying pan
- Scoop the batter in (I used an ice cream scoop)
- When the pancake bubbles up on one side, flip it
Serve whilst hot! I stacked berries in the middle of my pancakes for an extra healthy kick, plus drizzled my sugar free caramel syrup on top. My mum's boyfriend positively guzzled them down and he isn't even on a healthy kick!
These definitely fuelled my snowy 7-mile walk on the heath!
On Sunday morning I wanted to use up the rest of my pumpkin, so I called on Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe for healthy baked oatmeal (That's porridge to us Brits!)
- 35g porridge oats
- Quarter american cup pureed pumpkin
- Splash of skimmed milk
- Tbs sweetener such as splenda
- 100 ml water
- tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- splash of vanilla esscence
- Combine all ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour into a heat-proof ramekin
- Bake on 200oC for 20 mins
- Turn up to 250oC for last 5 mins for a crispy top
- Serve warm, I put some berries in the top and obviously also drizzled on some of my favourite caramel sauce!
I hope you enjoy! Whats your favourite weekend breakfast?