Guinness Cupcakes with Salted caramel buttercream
Todays cupcakes are the cupcakes I made for my own birthday (no cake is as good as homemade cake!) I'm a massive chocoholic as well as loving a challenge so I decided to make some cupcakes I had never attempted before.
Chocolate Guinness cupcakes with Salted Caramel Marscapone buttercream. Makes 36 approx.
Ingredients:For the cake:
- 375 ml Guinness
- 330g butter
- 130g cocoa powder
- 400g plain flour
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 tbs baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 200g sour cream
For the buttercream:
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 200ml single cream
- 75ml golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- 220g marscapone
- 110g butter
- 750g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt together the guinness and butter in a saucepan over a low heat
- When melted, sift in cocoa powder and leave to cool
- Sift in plain flour and baking powder, then add rest of cake ingredients into a bowl and mix well, using a hand or stand mixer.
- Add in chocolatey guinness mixture when cooled and mix well again.
- Scoop the batter (it will be quite wet) into cupcake cases with an ice cream scoop.
- Bake on 180oC for 15 minutes approx.Take out of pan and leave to cool.
- To make the salted caramel, put caster sugar into a pan with 25ml water and let boil (do NOT stir!) until sugar becomes darker. (Approx 8 mins)
- Add in butter, when that is melted add in brown sugar, cream and golden syrup.
- I made a softer sauce, so I let the caramel boil until 113oC then poured into a container.
- To make the buttercream, sift in icing sugar, then add in butter and marscapone, and 2 large scoops of caramel. Save the rest for drizzling!
- Mix well with a hand or stand mixer for about 4 mins, then pipe on top of cupcakes, and drizzle the caramel syrup on top.
- Top with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, and optionally, some glitter!
I like these cupcakes as they were moist and very rich, as well as being a proper dense yet satisfying cupcake, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, and I recommend you have one with a cuppa... in fact that's what im going to do right now!