These are now one of my most requested baked goods by my friends, so I'm thinking more practice and a few variations are in order over the coming months!
These take a bit of time, but I assure you, they are WELL worth it!
240ml skimmed milk 45g unsalted softened butter 450g wholemeal flour 2 & 1/4 tsp active yeast 150g golden syrup or agave nectar 1 tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg Cooking spray Filling: 115g light brown sugar 2 tbsp ground cinnamon 30g unsalted butter Glaze: 200g icing sugar 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter 2 tbsp skimmed milk ½ tsp vanilla extract Method
- Combine milk and butter in measuring jug and microwave it all melts together.
- Pour into a your stand mixer or large bowl and add 150g flour, sugar, egg, yeast, and salt.
- Knead on low speed 3 minutes, whilst scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add 300g flour. Knead until flour is absorbed and dough turns into a large ball.
- Lightly oil your bowl with nonstick spray. Cover bowl with cling film then damp kitchen towel.
- Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Punch down dough. Transfer to floured work surface. Roll out to a rough rectangle. Spread butter over dough and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll up dough into one log roll and cut into about 16-18 even pieces.
- Spray your square baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange rolls in the dish leaving no space in between.
- Cover baking dish again with a damp kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in size once again, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 185°C. Bake until tops are golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Sift icing sugar and add in butter, milk and vanilla and whisk well. Pour over rolls whilst hot and serve immediately!
Serve and of course instagram to your willing audience! Have you ever made these?!