Lemon & Poppyseed Loaf
It's SUNSHINE SUMMER here in London! And wow, it is gorgeous! What better cake to enjoy the sunshine with that a light lemon loaf cake? If you can brave a spell of baking, this is the perfect cake for a light summer dessert, and everyone who tries it just loves it!
- 190g unsalted softened butter
- 190g plain flour
- 190g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 25ml semi skimmed milk
- 80g Greek yogurt (I use 0%)
*You'll need a hand or stand mixer for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 170oC and grease and flour your loaf tin.
- Start by creaming the sugar and butter together.
- Add in the eggs one by one, mixing fully into the batter.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, sifting in the flour and baking powder.
- Add in about a third at a time, incorporating fully.
- Mix in the milk and yogurt and beat with vigour! (But don't over-mix)
- Scoop the mixture into your loaf tin and spread with a knife to level.
- Bake for about 50-60 mins, and test with a toothpick. It does go quite brown on top.
- Make the sugar syrup by putting the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml of water into a saucepan and bringing to the boil. Leave it for about 5-10 mins until it reduces by about half.
- When the loaf cake is done, take it out of the oven and stab a few holes down the middle. Pour syrup over the top whilst it's still hot.
- Leave to cool, then slice into generous chunks and serve with a glass of lemonade or even a cuppa!
This is a post for the Domestic Sluttery Just Desserts Club, their theme this month is sunshine citrus! Go on... get involved!
* Recipe adapted from Hummingbird Cake Days