Chocolate Overload Cupcakes
These chocolate overload cupcakes are pure decadent, a light chocolate sponge, topped with a rick chocolate buttercream, drizzled with salted caramel sauce, and finally topped with a sprinkle of your favourite chocolate bar. These are definitely NOT for the faint-hearted but are definitely FOR you chocolate-lovers out there!
I'm drooling just thinking about them...
- 200g plain flour
- 2tbs baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 240ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 280g butter, softened
- 100g cocoa powder
- 400g icing sugar
- 75 grams best-quality unsalted butter
- 50 grams soft light brown sugar
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams golden syrup
- 125 ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
- For the cake, mix the dry ingredients and butter together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Beat the milk and eggs together with vanilla and add to the cake mix a third at a time
- Mix until all combined well
- Scoop into cupcakes cases and back on 180oC for approx 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean
- For the buttercream, sift the cocoa powder and icing sugar together, add the butter and whisk on high
- If needed add some milk or double cream to loosen the mixture.
- Pipe onto cupcakes once cooled
- For the sauce, melt the butter, sugars and golden syrup together in a heavy saucepan, swirling every now and again
- Once the mixture is a bubbling, golden colour, add the cream and then the salt, to your taste
- Stir with a wooden spoon and let cook for a minute or so more
- Decant into a jug, and once cooled, drizzle over your cupcakes
- Top with your favourite chocolate bar and serve
- Eat. Immediately!