Salted Caramel Popcorn
Crunchy. Salty. Sweet. Spicy. Moreish. This is the popcorn that my friend said I should sell. Maybe now I will. Popcorn is so easy to make yourself at home... so I did! Let me introduce you to salted caramel popcorn with a hint of cinnamon. Your new best friend on Saturday night... or for that matter any night! Make this on the weekend for a lazy evening of TV and nosh.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 225g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 440g soft brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp maldon sea salt
- 1 tsp cinammon
- 1 dollop vanilla bean paste
- Pop your popcorn kernels, or get your pre-popped plain popcorn ready.
- Preheat to the oven to 120oC
- Mix the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a very large heavy bottomed pan
- Bring to the boil on a medium heat.
- Leaving bubbling away for 3-4 mins without stirring
- Add the bicarb, cinammon, salt, and vanilla and mix.
- Stir in the popcorn til it’s coated all over in the delicious caramel mixture.
- Line 2 deep baking dishes with greaseproof paper
- Bake for about an hour, and stir halfway.
- Remove, let cool and serve!