There's no better way to kick off a new week than with a totally DELICIOUS, dreamy cake! You'll be looking forward to baking this beauty I guarantee. I baked this on the weekend for my own birthday (yes, I do make my own birthday cake, but because I love it, not because I have to!)
The cake is a vanilla sponge recipe, the "buttercream" is actually whipped coconut cream, and for an extra touch, I added salted caramel sauce! The added bonus? The entire cake is dairy-free, to accommodate my lactose-intolerance. The plus side to this cake is also that we could have it for dessert after a meat meal!
- To prep in advance, put 2 cans good quality Coconut Milk in the fridge overnight (I used Waitrose own, when I tried Tescos own, it did not yield the same result, do not use!)
- Make the coconut cream first - on day of cake baking (or before) open tin of coconut milk, and you'll see that the "fat" has rise to the top.
- Scoop this into a mixing bowl, and discard (or drink!) the coconut water underneath
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the coconut cream with some cocoa powder, icing sugar and vanilla (to your taste) You could also add in coffee extract for a mocha buttercream!
- Refrigerate until you're ready the ice the cake
For the cake I made my standard Lily Vanilli plain victoria sponge cake.
I drizzled caramel sauce in between the layers and also over the top of the cake.
Caramel Sauce Recipe:
- 75 grams margarine (or butter if you're not dairy free!)
- 50 grams soft light brown sugar
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams golden syrup
- 125 ml oat or soya cream (or double cream if you're not dairy free!)
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
- Melt marg, sugars and golden syrup in a pan over low heat
- Let boil away for 4 mins, stirring occasionally
- Add in cream and salt to taste and mix well
- Leave to cool
To assemble the cake, let the super-soft sponge cool completely. Sandwich the layers with the cocoa buttercream. Stir in some caramel if it.s too hard. Drizzle caramel over tip of buttercream and put on another layer. Put some more buttercream on top and drizzle with yet more sauce! Decorate however you like, I like the sprinkle effect!
Slice, serve, enjoy!